Wednesday, June 17, 2020

How to Stay Happy in a Bad Situation


This is an article from my old (now retired) blog that was published years ago. In this time of pandemic when many people’s lives are in an extremely bad state, I thought it would be timely to repost this. I always say: Happiness is a choice and a disposition of my heart. It is not dependent on my situation.”  Train yourself to see miracles every day.

“A joyful heart makes a cheerful face.” – Proverbs 15:13

We made it to the church on time without going over the speed limit, breaking any traffic rules and giving the traffic aide any reason to harass us for his snack money. We were even early enough to get the best parking space – right beside the entrance to Paco Park.

We couldn’t be late for this wedding. Papa had an important role to play. My newly widowed cousin, the mother of the groom, wanted Papa to walk with her down the aisle.

It was a close shave because my morning was hectic with errands to run. I barely had time to have my nails done so I had to settle for this horribly expensive parlor in the mall.

To save more time, I finished dressing-up in the car: applied eyeliner and lipstick when the light turned red; changed from slippers to shoes (good thing I grabbed the right box); stuffed essentials into my tiny evening bag.  

Midway to the church, I began to relax. We were good. We were on time. Or so we thought.

My cousin, George, who drove for us decided to check out the church first to make sure we were in the right place. Was it Paco Church or Paco Park? He came back with the news that there was no wedding scheduled for the day.

I called my cousin’s mobile number, but it was out of coverage area. I had her home phone number, but I said, “Who will answer that when everybody’s at the wedding?”

The phone rang. My cousin answered. What was she doing at home an hour before the wedding? Feeling something was totally off, I passed my phone to Papa.

We found out we were 3 days late for the wedding. The couple was already on their honeymoon when we got to the church.

They weren’t able to send the invitation, so the details were given over the phone. Papa jotted down Dec. 4 on his planner which I thought was an odd day for a wedding as it was a Tuesday. I kept asking him about it, but he said that’s the date my cousin gave. (Later we found out she did give that date then corrected it.)

Papa began to feel bad about it. He couldn’t imagine how he made that mistake. He also started to blame me – why I didn’t make sure about the date. That didn’t stick though since I never talked to my cousin.

I WAS IMAGING WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF THIS HAD HAPPENED TO SOME OF MY MARRIED FRIENDS. It would probably be the declaration of World War 3. The wasted trip, the wasted effort of dressing up and the blame game would have triggered a big fight. (Rejoice all you solo parents out there! This is our one big advantage.)

But by God’s grace we were given joyful hearts and some blessings.

We began to find the mix-up funny and laughed about it.  

We decided not to waste the trip and go somewhere to eat. I wanted to eat in Pancake House and thought there was one along Macapagal Ave. But George saw their branch on Harbour Square. As we enjoyed our pancakes and tacos, we were treated to a spectacular view of Manila Bay behind the Yacht Club.

What do you do when you’re dressed to the nines, all dolled up and you have no wedding to go to? Take pictures of course. I got some fabulous shots with my phone camera.

Instead of the blame game, we played the gratitude game:
  • It’s a good thing I only had time for a pedicure. I was saved from a pricey manicure.
  • Papa decided not to buy a new suit and just had his old one dry-cleaned. He was happier missing the wedding in his old suit. 
  • Since we had no wedding to go to, we had the time to get the car back-up sensor fixed.
Happy tip: Knock some happiness into a bad situation by focusing on the good things. Consciously look for the blessings and the things that suck the joy out of your day will get punched out of the ring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment