Sunday, March 12, 2023

Living Water

 


Lenten Reflection #13

“but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” – John 4:14

I feel it’s a God-incidence (not coincidence) when the gospel and my self-assigned Lenten video to watch for the day are about the same bible story. Not only do I get visuals to make the gospel come alive but also a confirmation of what my reflection will be about. Today’s story was about the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s Well. The homily gave me a lot of insights:

There are different kinds of wells that we think will quench our thirst: marriage or a relationship (like the woman who has had 5), addictions, wealth, power and other earthly things. But all these things will not completely satisfy us. We will still be left dry and desolate. We will thirst for more.

We thirst to be saved, known, understood and to be loved without being judged. The woman in the bible was nameless but Jesus knew her and her sins. He still thought her worthy to receive His living water, to reveal Himself as the Messiah. As Timothy Keller said, “To be fully known and truly loved is a lot like being loved by God.” That is how the well of Jesus will satisfy. His love for us will never run dry.

Reflect on this for Lent: “From what well do you drink?”

References:      Mass Homily – Fr. Eric Salazar

                       The Chosen Season 1 Episode 8 – “I Am He”


No comments:

Post a Comment