Thursday, September 7, 2023

Emergency Novena to Mother Mary

 


“The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.”

– Luke 1:49

“I want to know what to pray for.”

 

These words were spoken by Mother Mary in “The Messengers”, the Christmas 2021 with The Chosen special. The scene was set at the time she was already old and probably near death. She was asking Mary Magdalene how the apostles, who were scattered around the world evangelizing, were doing. Mary, hesitant to burden Mother Mary with the difficulties of the disciples, tried to change the topic. But she was insistent. Our Mother wants to know what to pray for. I believe she has the same concern for us, her children.

 

Today, on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, I give thanks to God for giving us a mother who intercedes for us constantly to her Divine Son. Every time I go into panic mode because of some crisis in my life, she is the one I cling to because I know Jesus cannot say “No” to her. If He won’t listen to me, He will certainly listen to His Mother.

 

I remember reading about Mother Teresa of Calcutta’s Emergency “Flying Novena” to our Lady. I have prayed it ever since when I fear an impending and IMMEDIATE “disaster”. OK, I admit I’m a panicky person so “disaster” would be relative. It has ranged from my son’s delayed connecting flight, to fears someone in the family got Covid, to not having enough to pay BIR’s ridiculously high estate tax, to many other problems in my hiram na buhay. Believe me, I can’t remember a time when this novena failed. Our Mother must be more makulit than I am with her Son.

 

The emergency novena is simply the “Memore” said ten consecutive times. Mother Teresa prayed this when time was of the essence and trouble would already happen before she could finish a nine-day novena. I read that her Missionaries of Charity still pray the novena to this day. (See the complete prayer below.)

 

Going back to that The Chosen episode, Mother Mary asked to see Mary Magdalene so she could bequeath to her the Magnificat. The Canticle of Mary was written down and sent to Luke. On her birthday, I invite you to reflect:

 

What great things has the Lord done for you that, like Mary, you will be inspired to utter a canticle of praise?

 

Happy Birthday Mama Mary!

 

The Memorare

 

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known 
that anyone who fled to thy protection, 
implored thy help, 
or sought thy intercession, 
was left unaided. 
Inspired by this confidence 
I fly unto thee, 
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. 
To thee do I come, 
before thee I stand, 
sinful and sorrowful. 
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions, 
but in thy mercy hear and answer me. 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment