Thursday, September 14, 2023

Sharing Crosses

 


“He humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.” – Philippians 2:8

 

“Do you envy others because their crosses are lighter than yours?” This was the question asked by the priest in yesterday’s mass celebrating the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross. I nodded my head again and again and again in agreement giving those bobble head dashboard dogs a run for their money.

 

Do you also feel that way once in a while, sometimes, most of the time? Here you are a solo parent struggling to raise your kids and there are your friends and relatives with their perfectly complete families. Oh they have some problems too: how to get their visas in time for their vacation abroad, where to hold their milestone birthday bashes, things like that. I’m exaggerating but I have heard this complaint from a couple of sisters in HIP (Hero Independent Parents - our Solo Parent Ministry at Feast Bellevue): “Why is that woman (the one who stole her husband) enjoying a better life than me???? She gets the cars, and the house, and the foreign trips while my ex-husband doesn’t even give enough in child support.” Sounds familiar?

 

Heck, I don’t know why the crosses of others are lighter and that pains me often. But what the priest said struck my tear ducts. “Crosses are meant to be shared. Humanity was on a vicious downward spiral until God decided to share our burden, our suffering, our cross. The cross was ours to bear but Jesus carried it for us. Even Jesus needed Simon of Cyrene to carry His cross…Do you find your cross heavy? Have you asked others or even God to share your burden? Or we can ask, ‘What have you done to lift the burdens of so many people around us overwhelmed by the crosses they bear?’” (Fr. Emmanuel Alfonso)

 

So my dear fellow heavy lifters, do not be afraid to ask for help. The main thing that helped me survive solo parenting was the help of my parents, relatives, and friends especially my Feast brothers and sisters. Even the mere act of asking for prayers is already a major step.

 

On the other hand if you have a lighter cross, it is your duty to help carry the cross of your brethren. Sometimes what you think is the least you can do (praying for them or giving time to listen) is what it will take to lift them.

No comments:

Post a Comment